Thursday, January 16, 2014

Could Canada Support Two Gold Medal Teams?



As I mentioned last week following the highly anticipated (though quite controversial) announcement of the players who will be representing Team Canada in Sochi next month, the canucks are far and away the favorite to take home the gold. However, as I was sorting through a list of players who hadn't been invited onto the team, an interesting idea came to mind.

Could Canada support team Gold Medal teams?

Or, in other words, are Canada's cut playes better than most countries' teams?

It may sound ludicrous, but bear with me. Canada is no doubt the best hockey country on the planet, and the depth they have at every position is incredible. Do you know how many teams would drool over having guys like Giroux and St. Louis.

If you think I'm exaggerating, check out the roster below. Keep in mind, these are the players that Yzerman and Co. chose not to take with them.



Canada's "B" Team:

Hall Giroux St. Louis
Couture Thornton Neal
Skinner E. Staal Eberle
Lucic Seguin Iginla
M. Richards Mackinnon

Phaneuf Seabrook
Letang Boyle
Campbell Green
Giordano M. Staal

Crawford
Fleury
Bernier

Scary. Still think it's ludicrous? I don't even have to look to know that this team is better than all but maybe 4-5 teams, and then it starts getting close.

Canada B> Team Russia. As much firepower as Russia have up front with guys like Malkin, Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc, they just don't have the depth or defense to compete. Many expect them to bounce back after a very dissapointing early exit in Vancouver  years ago, but I just don't see it.

Canada B=Team Sweden. Sweden boasts a well-rounded team with Zetterberg and the Sedins leading the offense, Kronwall and Karlsson holding down defense, and Lundqvist in net. However, there's not much that they have that Canada B doesn't. I guess I'm not willing to say that Canada B is better, but they're every bit their equal.

Canada B> Team Finland.
I really actually like Finland as the underdog team to watch. With Rask and Niemi holding down the fort between the pipes, guys like Jussi Jokinen, Granlund, and the ageless Teemu Selanne could surprise people. However, they're not better than St. Louis' revenge squad.

Canada B> Team USA. I think the netminders and defense are a wash. Canada's offense is definitely more talented, but the American's have a little more grit. However, I don't think the Americans can match the speed and firepower of Canada B. I still can't believe this is their "backup" squad.

Canada B> Team Czech Republic. Though I like the Czech offense led by Jagr, Krejci, and Elias, their defense is shaky at best and I don't trust Pavelec as your #1 goaltender. Canada B wins.

Canada B<Team Canada. Hope this one's obvious. I'm making a point but I'm not delusional.

Overall, it's pretty just how good at hockey Canada is (surprising, I know). Do I think Canada B would be the best team in Sochi? Of course not. But are they a write-off? Of course not. This team has enough talent to beat any team in the world on any given night. So the answer is yes, Canada can support 2 gold medal teams. As far as I'm concerned, anyway.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Do you agree or disagree? Is my analysis fair?

No comments:

Post a Comment