Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Unlucky 13 ends Bruins' streak; How much do you hate PK Subban?



Well, it had to end sometime. The Bruins fell to the Canadiens last night, ending their longest winning streak since the Bobby Orr era. And guess what? People are coming out of the woodwork again cursing Chiarelli for not being more active at the deadline. Yes, really.

The Bruins, who lead the league in wins and points. The Bruins, the first team to clinch a playoff spot. The Bruins, who have the best GF/GA differential. That same team that just won a dozen straight games. Yes, we definitely should have made a bigger move at the deadline (insert eye roll). You already know how I feel about this.

Though a winning streak is great fun and a pride point, I'm not distraught that it was broken last night. You can expect them to keep winning forever. Believe it or not, I'm not even upset that it was the Canadiens we lost too (okay, maybe a little.)

What bothers me greatly though, is the way we lost. More specifically, the game that the Habs play. I can't stand watching those frauds take dives to draw penalties or throw cheap shots and refuse to back it up.


Case in point: Emelin's hit on Lucic. Legal hip check, though a little low. Chara took exception to it and started shoving Emelin down. Do I expect 6'2" Emelin to take on Chara? Of course not. But if you're throwing big hits like that you better be prepared to back it up. But it's almost like the Canadiens have a rigid mentality of not doing that.

On the other hand, look at Kevan Miller. Shoved Dale Weise into the boards, who went down awkwardly. Right away, Miller knew he was in the wrong and stopped playing. Weise was slow to get up. Travis Moen came over and challenged Miller. Kevan Miller is a rookie but he knows the code. He obliged, dropping the gloves with Moen and pummeling him in a fair fight. You make it hit, you back it up. That'w how it works in hockey and I can't stand that Miller gets it and Emelin doesn't


None are as bad as PK Subban. Man, do I hate that guy. He's a superbly talented defenseman with with the backbone of a slug. All game long, he's throwing cheap shots and dirty hits behind the whistle and then when someone challenges him he whines to the refs.

I've never seen someone dive like he does and get away with it. I've also never seen a guy do so many cheap shots behind the play and refusing to answer for it. Boychuk challenged him after Subban slashed him and Subban just threw his arms up to the ref like a 5 year old. I couldn't hate him more unless his name was Joffrey Baratheon.

Then comes the argument: "Well he's a great player. You'd love him if he was a Bruin."

No thank you.

Sure this applies to a lot of other guys I tend to dislike. I don't like Hartnell too much, but I would if he was a Bruin. Just as I love Marchand but I'm sure my feelings would change if he was on another team.

But not Subban. So naturally, I began thinking of other players I'd rather take over him. I think I surprised myself with the list. They might not be more talented, but they play the game more honorable than him. Subban is a Norris Trophy winner and top 5 offensive defenseman in the game but here's my list:

Chara, Karlsson, Weber, Doughty, Keith, Seabrook, Kronwall, Suter, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Timonen, Green, Carlson, Hedman, Fowler, Byfuglien, Giordano, J. Schultz, Markov, Jones, McDonough, Girardi, Schenn, Ekmann-Larsson, Letang, Martin.

This is just off the top of my head. 27 defenseman I would take over a 24 year old Norris Trophy winner. Yes, because I hate Subban that much. He's supremely talented, sure. But he plays the game the wrong way and he's not someone I would want on my Bruins team.

Disagree? Would love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment